Punctuality and Attendance
Students should arrive in college in plenty of time to get to tutor by 8:25am. After 8:25am students must sign in at reception. Gates will be locked at 8:25am, detentions will be issued for students who are late.
If students cannot attend college for any reason, parents should contact the college office before 8:30 on the first day of absence on 01329 843127 or leave a message on the 24 hour absence line. Students must bring a note from parents in their planner when they return to college explaining their absence.
We have introduced Truancy Call to reduce unauthorised absence. Parents will receive a text message to let them know if their child is not in college. The facility also allows parents to respond. As we all know, being late to college reduces learning time:
- If your child is 5 minutes late every day they will miss 3 days of learning each year.
- If your child is 15 minutes late every day they will miss 2 weeks of learning each year.
Tutors have regular conversations with students about their attendance.
Illness, Accidents and Medication
- If students feel unwell, teachers should sign the student's planner and send them to the first aid room.
- The college will contact parents if this is necessary. Students must not contact home themselves.
- If students require regular medication, parents will need to complete a medication form which can be downloaded from the forms page in the parents area of college website.
- We are not allowed to give other medication without parental permission.
Please ensure that all contact details are kept updated throughout the year, every student must have a minimum of two emergency contacts. If we have not received notification of an absence and are then unable to make contact with you ourselves, this could trigger safeguarding procedures.
If you have any concerns regarding attendance or would like help in supporting your child to attend college, please contact your child’s tutor in the first instance.