Admissions & Transition






Main-round admissions: Parents of Year 6 pupils applying for a school place will receive a Common Application Form (CAF) via their Junior/Primary School or you can apply online  

If applying for a School place for a Year 6 student transferring from a Private School please contact the Admissions Team in Winchester (0845 603 5623) for a Common Application Form (CAF).

To find the catchment school for your address, please visit the Hampshire website: and use the link “Find my nearest school”.   An address in the catchment area does not guarantee admission.

Please be aware that our PAN is 180 and we have been full for the last two years, we encourage parents to submit main round applications on time.  Please view the Hampshire County Council Admission Policies for further information.

In-year admissions: Parents considering The Henry Cort Community College and wish to have a look at the college or find out further details please complete our Admission Enquiry Form.

Year 6 Transition

Moving from Primary to Secondary school can be an anxious time for parents as well as for children.  At The Henry Cort Community College we recognise that and we work hard to ensure the transition process is as smooth as possible.  We have a wonderful team of dedicated staff, who are committed to providing students with exciting learning opportunities that equip all students for the next stages in their lives. 

We are proud of our transition programme and we have a dedicated Transition Co-ordinator who is responsible for the transfer of Year 6 children to our college.  Every child is important to us and a successful transfer often means less anxious but happy children at the beginning of Year 7.

We have an established programme of events which include:

  • Year 5 visits
  • Invitations to parents to see the college at work
  • Transition workshops
  • Year 6 Transition day and Parent Information Evening
  • Cluster music concerts and sports events
  • Visits by our staff to Year 6 pupils in their own schools
  • Summer school
  • A Year 7 Induction day at the beginning of the first term
  • Mixed-age tutor groups to support younger students

The transition process starts when parents/carers, have made their choice of Secondary school.  Saturday morning workshops are organised during the early part of the summer term for Years 5 and 6.  This gives children an opportunity to spend a morning engaging in a variety of activities as well as having the chance to meet teachers.

During the summer term the transition team visit your child's primary school as we believe it is important to meet every child coming to us.

All these activities culminate in a taster day which every child transferring to Henry Cort is expected to attend. This is always scheduled during the first week of July and it is followed by a parents’ information evening, giving you an opportunity to meet staff and share any concerns you may have.  Each child and parent is given a booklet full of information about our college.

The transition co-ordinator will continue to support your child once they arrive here and throughout the autumn term.  During this most important time do not hesitate to contact us.

Page updated: 26 September 2020